Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Rain, rain, and turtles

It has been raining on and off the past several days but the last two nights we were in Tulum for turtle monitoring. We were walking the beach in the dark from 9pm to 5am. It is way tiring but so worth it. For both nights we saw five turtles and three of them were nesting, it was such a fantastic thing to witness. We measured them, checked for injuries, checked for tags, marked the nest so it wouldn't be stepped over by tourists, and if needed then moved the nest to a little higher ground. I don't think I could do the time every night but the two nights I was there I will always remember, even though the second night we were hammered by rain all night. Speaking of rain, due to weather we haven't been diving in almost two weeks which really sucks. Hopefully the weather will improve over the next few days though so we can actually monitor and finish rescue diver training. So by next entry I hope I can talk about diving and I'll talk more about base life as well. Adios.
Share/Save/Bookmark

0 comments: